Parts of Malibu have been evacuated as the California wildfire approaches the seaside community.
Officials initially indicated that the entire city was at risk of the raging flames, but have now specified a western area making up approximately two-thirds of the popular tourist destination.
Those who live there have been warned of an “imminent threat” to their safety, with thousands of people being urged to flee however they can.
The so-called Woolsey Fire began its approach towards Malibu on Friday, having already wreaked havoc and destruction throughout the town of Paradise and across the Santa Monica Moutains.
California fire captain Scott McLean said earlier that “pretty much the entire community of Paradise is destroyed”.
The fire first broke out on Thursday, northwest of Los Angeles, and roared south, with an estimated 75,000 homes evacuated in western Los Angeles County and eastern Ventura County.
Malibu houses about 13,000 residents – including a number of celebrities – and many have shared pictures of busy roads as scores of cars take to the roads in a bid to escape.
The LA County Sheriff’s Office said it was receiving “many emergent phone calls” from people who “need our help to evacuate” and urged motorists in the area to be aware of emergency vehicles.
Strong blustery winds combined with dry conditions have helped the blaze spread, after weeks without rain and low humidity at the height of the wildfire season in north California.
Captain McLean said the fire had grown to almost 110 square miles.